Even in 2022, Cancer is known to be one of the most dreaded and feared diseases around the globe. India is the world's third-largest nation to be dealing with the highest number of cases of cancer. A recent study by a Cancer hospital in hyderabad suggests that there are over 1 million new cancer cases every year in India. While it is hard to point out the cases that are most prevalent, thorough research has been able to yield an overview of the most common types of cancer in our nation.
YThe habits of Indians are ever-evolving and fast-changing. While the root cause of cancer remains unknown, this unpredicted habit-change and environment shock can lead to various types of cancer as we will discuss in this article below.
However, before getting to the discussion of the most common types of cancers in India, we are going to discuss the very definition of this disease.
Cancers, as per the dictionary, is a disease caused by an uncontrolled division of abnormal cells in a part of the body. It is a malignant growth or tumour resulting from this uncontrolled cell division. Cancer has also been synonymous with a figure of speech and has now become a negative term to define various use cases.
Cancer origination happens in organ tissue and research suggests that there may be almost 60 different organ tissues that can be the starting point of cancer cells.
As of March 2022, there are over 200 types of cancer. This cancer is either identified by the organ in which it begins or by the specific tissue from that it may originate.
Having a detailed understanding of the disease now, let’s move on to the list of the 5 most common cancers in India.
One of the Best Cancer Hospital in Hyderabad is of the opinion that breast cancer is one of the leading cancers which affects most women in India. It is a known fact that breast cancer is one of the most common cancers in especially the urban areas of the nation and the second most common cancer in rural areas. It is a type of cancer that forms in the cells of the breast. While this cancer is most commonly witnessed in women, it does not mean that it cannot occur in men. This kind of cancer is usually detected by an irregular lump in the breast or bloody discharge from nipples or a change in their texture or shape. Why the treatment of breast cancer depends solely on the stage, we can give you an overview of the various treatments that can happen for breast cancer like
- A mammaplasty, a tissue expansion surgery, a lymph node dissection or mastectomy.
- It can also be treated through various sittings of telly therapy or radiation therapy.
- Since the treatments take a toll on the body and the physique, some cancer patients may also be prescribed medications such as oestrogen modulator, chemotherapy, and bone health medication.
The pharynx region of your mouth is essentially the throat region and the larynx region of the mouth is the voice box. Cancer that develops in either of these is termed throat cancer and is less commonly also known as head and neck cancer.
This type of cancer usually occurs in the mouth, sinuses, nose or throat.
While the root cause of these cancers remains unknown, smoking is considered to be one of the most significant risk factors for the emergence of throat cancer. The symptoms of this cancer may be a constant lump in the throat that doesn’t heal, a persistent soreness in the throat, unexplained trouble in swallowing and irregularities in the voice.
An expert from the best team of Medical Oncology in Hyderabad suggests that throat cancer can be treated through various methods.
- Chemotherapy is one of the most common medical procedures adopted for the treatment of throat cancer
- PEG and radiation therapy are also significant treatments that can be provided
- In terms of surgery, learning to me, neck dissection and flap surgery have proven to be the most effective in treating throat or head and neck cancer.
The final part of the digestive tract in the large intestine is known as the colon. Cancer in the colon over the rectum is known as colon cancer and is less commonly known as colorectal cancer. This is ideally found in older adults but can affect people of any age.
It is a lesser-known fact that this type of cancer usually begins as a non-cancerous polyp and is one without any particular symptoms. The only way to detect this cancer is through screening. Therefore it is highly recommended that individuals over the age of 50 opt for regular screening for early diagnosis of this cancer. The minimal symptoms which may be observed for this type of cancer hour irregular bowel habits, inconsistent stools, bleeding stools and unexplained abdominal discomfort.
The Medical Oncology Treatment of this cancer usually depends on its size, location and the extent to which it already has spread in the colon or the rectum.
- Lymph node dissection and colectomy are the most common surgical treatments provided for this type of cancer
- Chemotherapy and chemotherapy protective drugs are also provided as medication.
Cervical cancer is a malignant tumour which usually originates in the lowermost part of the uterus, more commonly known as the cervix. Does malignant tumour that occurs in the cervix over the womb can usually be prevented by a PAP smear screening under the HPV vaccine.
While cervical cancer does not show any major symptoms, irregular bleeding when not on period, irregular bleeding after sexual instructor course, foul-smelling white discharge and unexplained back pain or lower abdominal pain or a few of the symptoms of cervical cancer.
One of the best oncologists from a team of Medical Oncology in Hyderabad says that the treatment of this type of cancer usually depends on its state and its size.
- In terms of medical procedures, teletherapy, brachytherapy, loop electrosurgical excision procedure, radiation therapy and cervical conization can be adopted.
- There are also various surgical procedures like hysterectomy, cervicectomy, cryosurgery, lymph-node dissection and retroperitoneal lymph node dissection.
- Chemotherapy is another medication option that is recommended by oncologists.
One of the most common and widely known cancer, not only across the nation but across the globe is Lung Cancer.
This cancer is mostly known for its very well known causing factor- smoking.
Most advertisements and commercials against smoking are targeted by creating awareness of its result - Lung Cancer.
However, did you know? Even in terms of lung cancer, there are 2 types of lung cancer:
- Non-small cell lung cancer
- Small cell lung cancer
While smoking is one of the primary causing factors of lung cancer, there are other possibile causing factors like family history and over-exposure to harmful chemicals or toxins.
One of the Best Cancer Hospital in Hyderabad says that the most common symptoms of lung cancer are coughing with blood, chest pain and unexplained weight loss.
The treatments of lung cancer depend on its stage.
- Basic precautions like quitting smoking is the primary stage to avoiding cancer. However, if one is already developed the cancer, quitting is the first step to the treatment.
- Chemotherapy and targeted therapy medication is an approach taken for lung cancer patients
- Various surgical procedures such as Pulmonary lobectomy, Wedge resection and Video-assisted thoracoscopic surgery may also be opted for
- Pallative and supportive care is another possible approach for lung cancer treatment.